Sunday, July 19, 2009

Switzerland is hard to get excited about!

For me a holiday is about a general relaxing of rules, a no worries, if not today sometime this week maybe. So perhaps a place that is most famous for its efficiency and timepieces unsurprisingly has little appeal to me.

A holiday wardrobe consists of various swim suits, a couple of long sleeved tops for the evenings, and a waterproof in case of showers, definitely not boots and duvet style jackets as are currently being worn by our neighbours children.

We arrived at Camping Manor Farm after what was a long but beautiful drive, the lakes and mountains are breathtaking. But we were so disappointed with the way the pitches were arranged on our site at Interlaken. Stress levels escalated as we tried to navigate onto various pitches under the watchful eyes of other campers. Eventually we were so hungry and exhausted, that I went to the on site restaurant hoping for take away pizza. I obviously succeeded in offending the owner hugely. Why would I not want real Swiss food anyway, and as he highlighted I could have a lovely view of the lake (its loveliness surely only enhanced, by the last of the suns rays glinting off the plastic and canvas of the packed in tents and caravans obstructing all but a tiny piece of lake) by sitting and dining on his veranda. I relented and we had pizza with a ‘view’, the Swiss specialities having no appeal to my vegetarian palate, and I must confess it was the first time I have had a cauliflower, carrot and broccoli pizza (Sebastian was highly amused by this, and ate some cauliflower as part of his drive to eat vegetables in return for soccer cards).

We knew we had to re-site the airstream as were crossing imaginary boundaries defended like lines of battle. We felt sure we could improve upon the view of the toilets and bin area. So the next morning we went scouting for available large pitches and actually found a lovely one. We overlook the lake and the view is superb, the large notice-board of rules sited in the centre of this fabulous vista, simply adds a touch of Swiss.

We also have great views of the paragliders who leap from a nearby Mountain. I have had moments when I understood their motivation, Paul asked if we should do a tandem jump, I said I was worried we would make the boys orphans, he gave me the look which coveys the words dumb blonde so eloquently!

Quite a lot of Irish people are here, I think it is because of their pale skin they don’t need to apply so much sun block in Switzerland, also I think one bunch is a school/college trip and you don’t get to choose where you go for those.

We had a nice day today, we used our free bus tickets into Interlaken, which is really pretty and reminds me of Heidi. We were looking for a fishing rod for Sebastian who is keen to catch a fish and have “fresh fish straight on the Braai”, South Africa really got to him. Anyhow we could not find a shop with a rod and he was so disappointed, as was I really, because fishing would definitely be a with Daddy activity. However Interlaken was lovely (clearly SAGA agree judging by the coach loads of grey haired tourists) and we relaxed whilst the boys wrestled for a while without injury on the large grassy square.

The grassy square was the destination for a large number of the paragliders, and was framed by Mountains with a very snowy one taking centre stage. They have an amazing looking ski station at the top, which looks very James Bond, but the cost for us to get there is about £250 and a 5 hour round trip, with no unbiased view of how good it is that seems like a pot of money.

Here reminds me of Canada, where we visited the mountains of Banff in BC, however it lacks the friendly Canadians, and the great value offered by the pound to Canadian Dollar, and the funnily enthusiastic Japanese tourists, who took photos of everything.

I will find something nice to say about Switzerland soon, because I am bored of my whinging, I thought for a moment we could thank them for Abba but no that was Sweden. I think maybe they make Nespresso, if so I can congratulate them on great coffee, and the road tunnels were pretty impressive. The airstream just catches the lights inside and looks very glamorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment